Thursday, April 16, 2009

Wisdom teeth and braces pissing me off?

Looking at the answers on this site, just about everyone with braces has had wisdom teeth removed.





I specifically told the dentist about a month ago that I do not want wisdom teeth removed and when he looked at my wisdom tooth, he said no problem it was growing out fine.





My problem I have now is that I will have to go through with the braces because I got 2 bicuspids removed 2 days ago and am getting 2 more removed on Thursday.





Should I ask the dentist to check my wisdom tooth once more to see if it will be fine or is it not necessary? I mean it grew out a little more since he last checked it but not so much that he would have changed his mind about whether or not is should be removed.





Also if the wisdom teeth are not removed if he says that it has to go, will that make any difference? My parents are both docs and they do not want my wisdom teeth removed, saying it is the hardest teeth to remove.

Wisdom teeth and braces pissing me off?
An apology to your parents, but physicians have very little knowledge of teeth. Just because they wouldn%26#039;t want teeth out doesn%26#039;t mean it%26#039;s the proper decision.





You are right that most orthodontic patients have their wisdom teeth removed; in fact about 75% do. However, you are having bicuspids removed and you said that your wisdom teeth have already started to erupt.





By having the other teeth out, the wisdom teeth have a good chance of erupting properly because all of the teeth will advance toward the front of the mouth and they will have mmore room. It is normal for teeth to move mesially anyway, and the orthodontist will guide the teeth in this direction.





Believe me, they will be monitoring eruption of the wisdom teeth since it affects orthodontics. If your dentist says it should be fine, trust him.



small business

No comments:

Post a Comment